A dental crown is a cap that goes over your tooth. It is shaped like a tooth, and feels just like a natural tooth. Most importantly, we make them natural looking to fit within your smile. Dental crowns cover natural teeth, dental implants, or hold a dental bridge in place. A dental crown can be made from many things, but the most modern and best materials are porcelain or zirconia. Both of which are the only type of crowns used at our office and provide the best cosmetic and functional purpose. Sometimes crowns can be made from a composition of these materials. In Dallas, Georgia, Seven Hills Dentistry has a highly professional team that is capable of advising upon the need for dental crowns. The team is experienced in fitting dental crowns and ensuring you have adequate aftercare to ensure their crown remains within their mouth for years and years to come. It is important that you maintain dental cleanings and checkups every 3-6 months as recommended by the American Dental Association to ensure the longevity of your dental crown(s).
When Would You Need a Dental Crown?
Seven Hills Dentistry can advise when a dental crown may be required. The most common situations where a crown is needed are:
- To restore the natural shape to a tooth that has been broken or badly chipped.
- To restore a tooth that has had a root canal.
- To complete a dental implant, covering the abutment with a natural-looking tooth.
- To hold a dental bridge securely in place.
- To cover a discolored tooth where color restoration is not possible.
- To cover a misshapen tooth
- To restore a tooth that has worn down over time due to poor care or misuse such as biting bottle caps.
- To protect a tooth that may break due to decay.
- To hold together and protect further damage to a cracked tooth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To make cosmetic modifications to the smile.
This list is not exhaustive, and your dentist may recommend a crown for other reasons. In every instance, the team at Seven Hills Dentistry will explain why a dental crown is being recommended and the risks and benefits the procedure might have for you.
What Is The Process Of Getting A Dental Crown
The process of fitting a crown will vary depending on the reason you are getting a crown. For instance, if you are getting a crown to fit over a dental implant, the crown may be the last step in a more lengthy procedure. Typically, however, the process will usually follow these steps:
- The area where the crown will be situated is prepared. If this is a tooth, a few x-rays may be taken to assess the integrity of the tooth’s roots, ensuring it will be strong enough to support the crown and that a dental crown is the best option. If the dental crown is affixed to a dental implant, the dental implant will be assessed to ensure it has fused with the bone and healed.
- The dentist will then numb the area with a local anesthetic, and the tooth will either be built up with a filling or taken down to make space for the crown. After the reshaping is complete, an impression of the tooth will be made. A temporary crown will be fitted to protect the tooth.
- The impression will be given to a dental lab who will then manufacture the tooth to your custom tooth size and shape according to the specifications as requested by your doctor.
- You will then return to the dental practice once your crown is ready and the temporary crown will be replaced with the permanent crown. The dental crown seat usually does not require anesthesia but can be used if needed.
If you are in Dallas, Georgia or the surrounding areas such as Hiram, Cartersville, Power Springs, Rockmart, Villa Rica, Rome, Emerson or Douglassville and you think a dental crown may help your oral hygiene do not delay in getting in touch with our team of experts at Seven Hills Dentistry who will be happy to serve you.